OTTAWA ─ December 17, 2021 ─ Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions
Today, the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI) confirmed that the minimum qualifying rate for uninsured mortgages will remain the greater of the mortgage contract rate plus 2 percent or 5.25 percent.
In an environment characterized by increased household indebtedness and low-interest rates, it is essential that lenders test their borrowers to ensure that mortgages can continue to be paid during more adverse conditions. This environment supports today’s decision to maintain the current minimum qualifying rate.
Mortgages are typically one of the largest exposures that banks carry on their balance sheets. Ensuring that borrowers can continue to repay their mortgage loans strongly contributes to the safety and soundness of Canada’s financial system.
OSFI reviews and communicates the minimum qualifying rate at least every December. Throughout the year, we will continue to monitor the appropriateness of the minimum qualifying rate and will make further adjustments, if conditions warrant.
“Sound mortgage underwriting is critical for maintaining the stability of the financial system. This is especially true now when changing conditions such as potentially rising interest rates could make repaying mortgages more difficult in the future.”
– Peter Routledge, Superintendent
- Uninsured mortgages are residential mortgages with a down payment of 20 percent or more.
- OSFI makes decisions on the minimum qualifying rate for uninsured mortgages based on data from its ongoing monitoring of federally regulated financial institutions as well as its analytical work on system-wide and sectoral developments.
- OSFI works with its federal financial regulatory partners, notably the Department of Finance Canada and the Bank of Canada when setting the minimum qualifying rate for uninsured mortgages.
- The Department of Finance is responsible for setting the minimum qualifying rate for insured mortgages.
You can view this news release on the Government of Canada.
Angela Calla is a 17-year award-winning woman of influence which sets her apart from the rest. She is without a doubt, a true expert in her field. Alongside her team, Angela passionately assists mortgage holders in acquiring the best possible mortgage. Through her presence on “The Mortgage Show” and through her best-selling book “The Mortgage Code“, Angela educates prospective home buyers by providing vital information on mortgages.
In August of 2020, at the young age of 37, Angela surpassed $1 Billion dollars in funded personal mortgages. In light of this, her success awarded her with the 2020Business Leader of the Year Award.
Angela is a frequent go-to source for media and publishers across the country. For media interviews, speaking inquiries, or personal mortgage assistance, please contact Angela at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 604-802-3983.
Click here to view the latest news on our blog.